The National Defence Fund is located in an owned multi-storey neoclassic building, known as “The National Defence Fund Mansion” on the crossway of Thalos and Pittakos Str. in Plaka.
The edifice was built during the period 1907-1912 and covers a total surface of 2.394 square metres extending to three floors, underground spaces, belvedere and a terrace with a wonderful view of the Acropolis hill and the wider area. It became a possession of the National Defence Fund under the founding Law 4407/1929 concerning the “Establishment of the National Defence Fund”. In 1980 it was declared a listed building (Government Gazette 617/Δ/8–11–1980).
It was the base of the 1911 French Force in Athens. In 1912-1914 it housed the Preparatory War College, which later functioned as “Higher Studies College”.
After 1922 it housed the 1st Army Corps and then up until 1977 the Higher Military Command of Interior and Islands, before housing the Army History Directorate. In 1980 it was posted in the building of the National Defence Fund. Since then in the aforementioned historic building are also housed the Army History Directorate at the ground and first floors and the National Defence Fund at the remaining floors.
In 2011-12 an extended renovation took place internally and externally, bringing out its architectural value during the night with the installation of outer lightning, but also its general protection with the installation of CCTV.